This one was too good not to share.
First- we are experiencing the March Melt! Here is this mornings shot by the lake as we were able to get out.
I did a segment last year on the worlds longest living people – as shared by Dan Buettner and National Geographic called Blue Zones. A recent podcast ” attached at the bottom” highlights some of the strategies that people have adapted into their lifestyle without building known “habits” as such- they just do it without thinking about it. It’s more of a lifestyle by design- that creates years in longevity with virtually no chronic disease. I know right! Sign me up please…..
Here are a few takeaways from people who live in Blue Zone areas:
- There is virtually no sugary drinks/pop/chips/packaged or processed foods in their diets. Through decades of family secrets, they have perfected cooking with spices, herbs and veggies that are locally growth- so they taste awesome and are loaded in nutrients.
- There is solid community companionship- being lonely is not something known to these people! Rich in community and social experiences. Being alone takes years off your life.
- They walk everywhere to do their errands- and those who constantly walked with hillier inclines actually had even longer life spans- i suspect due to enhanced cardiovascular effort.
- Their life is designed around movement- to encourage it. That is why in the modern day build environments- you will hear a lot in the design process of creating opportunity to move. That is the design build.
- Like minded people- enjoying simplicity. These are not rich people in $$ but rich in spirit and culture.
One of the ways I put something into action after listing to this podcast was to move my home office work stuff- so I would have to intentionally take it out and put it away. Small changes add up.
Top tip- in Nova Scotia – our gas prices reached plus $1.80 a litre- if your looking to offset this rise in your household expenses- one way you can do it right now is to look at trying out substitutions in your grocery bill. If you are a higher meat household- maybe try substituting in plant friendly meals once or twice a week. Mine in a lentil curry…..
Be well! Happy International Women’s day
Live Blue Consulting